Why buy units from WCC projects?
Buy carbon units from a Woodland Carbon Code project and your company can:
- Make a real contribution to tackling climate change
- Report Woodland Carbon Units against its unavoidable UK-based emissions
- Choose projects which provide enhanced social and environmental benefits
High Quality Carbon Units : Internationally recognsied high standards of sustainable forest management and carbon management - Approved by ICROA. With robust science from Forest Research, independent validation and verification and a transparent registry where you can track ownership, transfer and use of credits.
Local & Tangible : All the WCC projects are UK based, you can find a project near to you, and woodland carbon is a 'tangible' product you can visit and touch.
Wider Social and Environmental Benefits: Funding a WCC woodland can also help your business to meet other corporate social responsibility objectives and enhance its reputation. Woodlands can
- improve air quality
- provide wildlife habitat
- provide timber and woodfuel
- provide sites for public recreation
- provide opportunities for community engagement and staff volunteering, education and developmen
- in the right places, they can reduce flooding and improve water quality
In fact, we commissioned Eftec to Assess the Wider Benefits of Woodland Carbon Code Projects in 2016. For example, when looking at Woodland Carbon Code projects as a whole, for each carbon credit (tCO2) purchased from a Woodland Carbon Code project, the following benefits are also delivered:
- Recreation benefit: £64-£75/tCO2 over the project lifetime
- Air quality regulation: £9.80/tCCO2 average over project lifetime, dependent on location – from £0 in remote rural areas to £111/tCO2 in urban areas.
- Biodiversity: £22-£97 / tCO2 over project lifetime
- Economic activity: £7.37 of GVA / tCO2
- Water pollution regulation/ flood control: 12.5% of projects within areas identified as priority to reduce water pollution/ flood risks
- Social deprivation: A small percentage accessible to communities in the lowest 20% of social deprivation areas
Reduce your net emissions : The UK Government's Environmental Reporting Guidelines shows how you can use verified Woodland Carbon Units to compensate for your company's gross emissions.
Claim Carbon Neutrality : PAS2060:2014, the British Stantards Institute's Specification for the Demonstration of Carbon Neutrality shows how verified Woodland Carbon Units can be used in claims of carbon neturality of an activity, product, service, building, project or event.
Buy in advance and help with your pathway to Net Zero by 2050 : Purchase units in advance of delivery helping ensure your pathway to net zero over the years to come.
Employee and customer engagement : Some WCC projects offer companies the opportunity to get involved in the creation of the woodland, by planting trees, or to use the site for other employee events, or to engage customers with competitions and prizes relating to the woodland in which they buy carbon.